Here are the similarities between the two models (YDP141&YDP142):
- They both have the 88 note keyboard that uses the same graded hammer standard action.
- The both have similar audio power at a total of 12 watts.
- You can layer two sounds together and transpose with both models.
- Both models feature half-pedal sustain control.
- MIDI recording and playback.
What Makes the YDP142R Better?
From the similarities alone, you just know that the YDP142R is another good buy with its similarities with the YDP142R. But what makes it better than its predecessor? Here are some improvements:
- The YDP142R has a 128 note polyphony, as opposed to the 64-note polyphony of its predecessor.
- This model has 10 instrument sounds that include the harpsichord, pipe organ, jazz organ, strings and vibraphone. It even has 3 different grand piano sounds and 2 different electronic piano sounds. Its predecessor only had 6 sounds.
- The positions and overall designs of the power button and knobs were also improved.
- It now has USB connectivity that allows you to connect it to an iPad or even a computer. This is a massive improvement over the regular MIDI ports found on earlier models.
- It also allows two people to play together with its duet play feature.
What Other People are Saying
Just like with its predecessor, users are raving about the fact that it’s like a grand piano as far as sound and playing experience are concerned. A lot of users are seriously considering setting it up permanently in their home like a grand piano. It’s that beautiful and useful.
Users also love the instrument sounds, especially the 3 different grand piano sounds. They’re saying that they’re very realistic. This is a good thing if you’re like most users who bought this because they wanted to experience playing and listening to a grand piano but they don’t have the budget for it.
This is a good buy just like the YDP141. Of course, with its new and improved features, this is an even better buy than the YDP141. At just a little over $1000, the YDP142R is a must-buy if you’re looking for a good electronic piano.